To me, Coffee Cake is a very good excuse to eat cake ALL DAY LONG. A cake you can eat before or after your epic meal….
A cake that can be served with coffee or a big scoop of ice cream and fresh berries….
A cake that gives you leftovers to send home with guests or secretly munching in your kitchen all week long…
My mom used to make the most amazing coffee cake when I was growing up. Well, it’s still one of my favorite cakes but it makes such a big batch and I’m afraid I’ll eat the entire thing and probably have to run 12 miles to burn off the calories. And for that very reason coffee cake in muffin form is a better solution for me, hopefully they’re portioned controlled and I probably won’t eat all twelve…i guess
Gather your ingredients. It’s a very humble coffee cake. Crumb topping is the star! It doesn’t take much to highlight it.
Cinnamon Crumb Coffe Cake Muffins
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 pieces softened butter
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 5 tbsp. yogurt
- Cinnamon Crumb :
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp.cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter,melted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly spray muffin pans with baking spray or use silicone muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs,yogurt and vanilla.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together flour,sugar,baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir it all together with a wooden spoon, just until combined. Batter should be lumpy.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tin. It should fill each cup about 3/4 full.
- For the Crumb :
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together granulated sugar,cinnamon, salt and flour.
- Add melted butter and stir in until it all comes together.
- Fluff with a fork to make a mixture that resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the topping on top of the batter of each muffin.
- It may seem like it's a lot of topping but try your best to use it all up.
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes or until the toothpick inserted into each muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.