Make these chocolate toffee bars for your next party and you’ll be invited back! The sweetened condensed milk and chocolate toffee bits flavor combination makes this the perfect sweet treat.
When I was a teenager, and even later when I was a bit older, I absolutely refused to do the following things — to watch TV and to cook, to be precise, to make cakes.
Young people often have strange way of thinking, and I was not an exception to this, however, I still think it was time for socializing, going out, time for school. At that time you experiment but neither in the kitchen nor at home.
Cooking, now, I got to love that, really, really, but in my thirties. Somehow making cakes always looked like this – I’m bored at home, I don’t know what to do with myself, so making cakes and after that eating them (unfortunately putting on some weight) , was a more interesting option.
Why am I telling you all this and what does it have to do with the cake?
Well it has, it was the first chocolate bars I made for my birthday, where I made the first step in my ‘non-cook’ career.
You can’t spend five minutes scrolling down on Pinterest without spotting a some kind of chocolate bars…. However, it is different, of all chocolate bars, for this the filling is made of condensed milk.
The result was excellent. An excellent chocolate bars! Juicy inside, and not to mention chocolate icing, and then more toffee bits on top. Mmmm!
PS. Bars are quite sweet, you can reduce the amount of sugar up to your “sweet tooth” !
Chocolate Toffee Bars Recipe
- 3/4 cup margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 (10 oz) tin sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Beat brown sugar, flour and margarine in a large mixer bowl until well blended and creamy.
- Press evenly onto bottom of 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20 25 min or until light golden.
- Remove from oven to wire rack while preparing filling.
- Heat sweetened condensed milk and margarine in heavy pan,stirring constantly over med heat for 5-10 min or until thickened.
- Spread over cooled crust.
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 min or until light golden.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the top.
- Bake for 2 min longer or until chocolate is shiny and soft.
- Remove from oven and spread chocolate evenly.
- Sprinkle toffee bits on top,pressing lightly into chocolate.
- Cool completely and cut into bars.
- Cover and store at room temperature.
- In warm days, bars may be stored refrigerated.
- Bring to room temperature before cutting.