How to make THE BEST apple pie filling from scratch.
If you read this blog regularly, you’ll know that I have a slight obsession with Homemade alternatives to Store-bought products. I hate buying pre-made food and usually insist on making everything from scratch.
That doesn’t mean I don’t do it, but most of the time, if it comes in a package or a mix, I make it homemade. Well, sometimes it works (Caramels, Marshmallow Fluff, Sweetened Condensed Milk…..), sometimes I fail (cough….cough) 🙂
So when a gal cooks a ton of apple pies and tarts, a gal has got to have a trusty apple pie filling that she can rely on. And I just so happen to have a great one that’s quite easy to make, especially in large batches.
Easy Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- 5 cups apples cored peeled, and chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine water, juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch.
- Stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook for 2 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Add the apples and bring to a boil again.
- Drop the heat to medium low and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely.
- Keep refrigerated in a air-tight container up to 4-5 days.