Crescent Roll Mummy Hot Dogs – Aren’t they scary sweet?
My job as a kindergarten teacher requires constant animation of children and creativity when it comes to celebrations.
Halloween is coming, and like every year, this time we were also looking for a new surprise. Sometimes it takes a lot of imagination in order to persuade our children to eat anything.
My kids don’t really like food, they like playing games more. After a lot of effort to find the right solution for them to like food more than games, we finally managed it – Food has become a game.
We present you the “Crescent Roll Mummy Hot Dogs” which don’t look as bad as it sounds, but they are tasty and fun at the same time.
Will you agree that food tastes better when it is fun? There’s no science, just Crescent rolls and hot dogs, but when you look at this scowling face and the eyes that lurk beneath the bandages, you can’t resist to bite and show who the boss is.
Aren’t they scary sweet?
My creative friend Holly from blog Spend with Pennies, which I regularly visit, gave me an idea how to make the eyes that are savory. With only two ingredients: mozzarella and black olives, you will get perfect eyes.
- 1 (8-ounce) tube crescent rolls
- 8 Hot Dogs
- mustard, mayo or ketchup (for the eyes)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Black olives
- 1 large straw
- 1 regular straw
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Unroll crescent roll dough and separate into 4 rectangles, and press perforations to seal. (if using crescent rolls).
- Cut the dough with a sharp knife into strips 1/2 inch in width, and join 3 stripes together to form one long “bandage”.
- Wrap the "bandage" dough around the hot dogs, leaving space for the mummy's face.
- Repeat this with all the hot dogs and arrange them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- While the mummies in the oven, cut slices of cheese as thick as you want your eyeballs to be.
- Then cut off the sides of olives so they can lay flat.
- Using the large straw, cut large circles out of the cheese.
- Cut the centers out of your cheese circles using the small straw.
- Using the small straw, cut pieces out of your olives.
- Place the little pieces of olive into the cheese circle.
- Remove from oven, brush mummy's face with mayo ( mustard or ketchup) and add in eyeballs.
* mummy eyeballs adapted from Spend with Pennies
1 thought on “Crescent Roll Mummy Hot Dogs”
These are such a fun idea! They would be perfect for a Halloween party!