As Spring/Summer days approaching, things just need to be easy. Uncomplicated. Simple.
Easier than opening a box of store bought pie crust. (Almost.)
Easy Lemon Pie Cookies
This recipe is made using a store bought pie crust, also you can use your homemade pie crust recipe and prepare your own fruit filling.
There are two ways to prepare this cookies, cutting the 3-inch circles before filling and after the filling is applied on pie crust.
I’ve made it both ways, but prefer cutting the circles before filling, because it’s much easier to re-roll the scraps.
How do you make Lemon Pie Cookies ?
It’s easy! You just need a few basic ingredients:
Ready to roll pie crusts or Homemade All Butter Pie Crust
Egg and Sugar
Simply take a pie crust (I used my homemade all butter pie crust recipe, but you can also use a Pillsbury crust) and cut 3 inch circles with a round cutter or jar lid or glass. Spread about 1 teaspoon of lemon curd onto one circle, leaving about 1/4 inch border at the edge,
then top it with another circle of dough.
Brush each cookie with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Place on cookie sheet, and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes, before serving.
And that’s all folks.
It’s likely you will have filling left over. Save it for pancakes or waffles. Or make more Lemon Pie Cookies.
Yes, you can use your own fruit filling, cherry, blueberry or apple pie filling or even experiment with chunky jams.
Easy Lemon Pie Cookies is one of those recipes with endless variations. Those are my favorite types of recipes.
Easy Lemon Pie Cookies
- 1 Homemade All Butter Pie Crust or 2 pre-made, ready to roll pie crusts
- 1 10oz jar Lemon curd
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- sugar for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In small bowl, beat egg with water until well blended. Set aside.
- Roll the dough out to the desired size (for homemade pie crust) or unroll ready to roll pie crust (if you using store bought).
- * version 1
Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut circles and set aside; re-roll scraps and continue until you’ve used it all and have an equal number of top circles and bottom circles for the cookies.Spread about 1 teaspoon of lemon curd onto one circle, leaving about 1/4 inch border at the edge, then top it with another circle of dough.
- * version 2
Spread lemon curd on one of the crusts, leaving about 1/2-inch border around edge. Place second crust on top.Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out cookies by gently pressing down through both crust layers.
- With handle of knife, press edges to seal. cut “x” in center of each cookie pie.
- Brush each cookie with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes, before serving.