BBQ season is right around the corner …
And you know what that means: gatherings, good food and easy desserts!
So the next time you’re invited to a picnic, potluck or barbecue, take along something that tastes great, looks good and satisfies even the pickiest eater in the crowd. Even if you pressed for time or you’ve never liked baking in the first place.
Whatever the reason, you need a dessert, and you need it quick. So you reach for that grocery store staple: the ready-to-eat angel food cake.
No shame in that.
Light, airy angel food cakes are a perfect canvas for fresh summer fruit and a little whipped cream.
No Bake Strawberry Heaven Cake
- 1 14 ounce Angel food cake cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 16 ounce Cool Whip thawed
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 quart fresh strawberries sliced
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 3 ounce strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- Place water, 1/2 cup of sugar, cornstarch, and jello into a small saucepan, and whisk until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Heat over medium heat until glaze is thickened and clear.
- Set aside to cool slightly, and stir in sliced strawberries.
- Cut angel food cake into 1 inch pieces and toss with 2 cups of the Cool Whip. Press into 9×13 inch glass pan.
- Beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup remaining sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in remaining Cool Whip and spread evenly over cake layer.
- Pour cooled strawberry mixture over cream cheese layer, spreading to cover cake evenly.
- Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours before serving.