One of my favorite Spring vegetables is fresh asparagus, specially when it’s roasted. I know, almost any vegetables taste good roasted. Same story with garlic too, did you try ? no ?? Stop reading this and place bunch of garlic heads in your oven right now. This will fill your home with the most maddening, irresistible, and mouth-watering aromas imaginable.
While that’s happening, boil some wheat penne pasta too and toss along with garlic and asparagus and you will have an excellent dish that most any guest will be pleased with.
Adapted from Lifesambrosia
1 whole head garlic
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 pounds green asparagus, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups dried whole wheat penne pasta (or use bow ties or corkscrew macaroni)
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Use your fingers to peel away all the loose, papery, outer layers around the head of garlic. Leave the head itself intact with all the cloves connected.
3. Trim the top off the head of garlic: Trim about 1/4 inch off the top of the head of garlic to expose the tops of the garlic cloves.
4. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil over the exposed surface of the garlic, letting the oil sink down into the cloves.
5. Wrap in foil and bake: Wrap the garlic aluminum foil and roast in the oven for 40 minutes – 45 minutes or until browned and soft. Remove from oven. Allow to cool. Use a fork to remove cloves. Mash together in a bowl.
6. Toss the cut asparagus with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast in oven for 10 minutes.
7. While asparagus is roasting, bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
8. In the same pot you cooked the pasta in, melt butter. Stir in roasted garlic and cream. Return pasta to the pan and add roasted asparagus. Toss to coat the pasta and asparagus in the cream sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
6 thoughts on “Roasted Asparagus and Garlic Penne Pasta”
I love asparagus and this recipe is a definite must-try. 🙂 I will prepare it tonight 🙂 Thanks
Loved it…I added some shrimp to the butter & garlic…sauteed for a few minutes before adding the pasta/veg/cream….also liberally added parmesan cheese…hubby & son devoured it!
Great dish…..I added shrimp & parmesan cheese….big hit!
This is my kind of dinner! Thanks for linking up with What’s Cookin’ Wednesday!
Cost wait to makeep this. Do love asparagus. East enough for a quick meal. And can change it up
Need good tasty meal for quick prepartion time for dinner, after work day of long hours