Mini Cherry Pie Crescent Rolls are so simple and so delicious… the perfect breakfast treat! It starts with refrigerated crescent rolls filled with cherry pie filling and cream cheese, then baked to perfection and topped with powdered sugar.
Let me show you how easy these mini cherry pie crescent rolls are to make.
You will need :
MAKING YOUR OWN CHERRY SAUCE FILLING COULDN’T BE EASIER!
Looking for a way to use all of those fresh summer cherries? Make homemade Cherry Sauce! The recipe is so easy and you only need five ingredients! Use this easy filling to create delicious cherry desserts.
The cherries cook down with cornstarch to get nice and thick. You can make this with fresh or frozen cherries and it’s the perfect pie filling or topping for anything you like.
Cherries: For this recipe, you will need fresh or frozen cherries that you will need to pit. The easiest way to pit a cherry is with a cherry pitter. You will also need to remove the stems.
Water: When you cook the cherries, you will need to add some water. Cooking the cherries in water helps break them down and release the juices.
Sugar: You will need some granulated sugar to sweeten the sauce.
Cornstarch: To thicken your filling, you will add a slurry that is made with cornstarch and water.
Lemon Juice: You will also need some lemon juice which helps balance out the sweetness from the sugar.
What are the best cherries to use for sauce?
Sweet Cherries: if you’re using all sweet cherries you’ll want to be sure and use lemon juice.
Tart Cherries: if you’re using all tart cherries you can omit the lemon juice (or add it after tasting during cooking.
Combination of cherries: be sure and taste during cooking and adjust the amount of lemon juice accordingly.
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below!
Also don’t forget to follow SugarApron on Facebook, Pinterest and Youtube
Mini Cherry Pie Crescent Rolls
- 2 tubes refrigerated crescent roll dough or Crescent Dough Sheet
- 1 cup Cherry Pie Filling/Sauce/Preserves homemade recipe bellow
- 1 8 Oz Cream Cheese Softened at Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
Homemade SAUCE This makes about 1 cup of filling
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups cherries fresh or frozen pitted, thawed
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice optional but recomended if using sweet cherries
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- 4 Tablespoons warm water
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- HOMEMADE CHERRY SAUCE -
- Make a cornstarch slurry: Whisk together the water/lemon juice and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Combine the cherries and sugar and cinnamon(optional) in a small saucepan over low-medium heat, for about 10-12 minutes, until the cherries start to soften, break apart and release their juices. If your cherries are not very juicy, you may want to add water (from a few tablespoons to ½ cup depending on your fruit) to thin your sauce.
- Mix in the cornstarch/water. Gently simmer for 3 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Set aside and let it cool to room temperature before using.
- In a standing mixer, beat softened cream cheese until fluffy. About 2 minutes. Add sugar and beat another 2 minutes scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add vanilla, lemon juice, egg, and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Unroll the crescent dough on the baking sheet, separating the triangles. Cut each crescent roll triangle in half lengthwise into two pieces.
- (Or cut into triangles using a pizza cutter, or a sharp knife if using crescent roll sheet, triangles should be about 2 - 2 1/2 inches wide and about 9-10 inches high).
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture over each triangle and then spread about 1 Tablespoon of the cherry sauce on top.
- Starting with the largest end of the dough, gently roll each triangle into a crescent and arrange onto the baking sheet leaving 2 ½ inches apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Drizzle with milk and sugar glaze or dust with powdered sugar over the crescent rolls if desired.